Epic Games, creators of the popular Unreal engine and technology, have just released a free, standalone version of the Unreal 3 Engine. Anyone and everyone now has access to the Unreal Development Kit. The full feature list in the kit is listed here, and it is impressive.
Naturally this is for creating game worlds and mods that are free of charge. Any commercial use will obviously result in royalties and associated terms of service agreements. Sorry console modders, the kit is only available for the PC. Although Epic is entertaining the idea of expanding to include consoles.
So get crackin’!
Se7en Tidbits: “It’s Not Pronounced ‘Do Sex’ Stupid” or “Why Does My Vehicle Have Two Steering Wheels?”
Here are a few tidbits that caught my attention for one reason or another this week:
- “One MMO minute: Sixty milliseconds. The time it takes to do ‘one last thing, it’ll just take a minute’ that results in you waking your partner two hours later when you try to sneak sheepishly into bed.” – Melmoth, The only reason for time is so that everything doesn’t happen at once, Killed in a Smiling Accident.
- “Finally, “extreme sports” and “even fashion” should never, ever be allowed in the same room together, lest they get into a cat fight and you have to bring out the fire hose.” – Syp, Funcom: We Double-Dog Dare You To Take Us Seriously, Bio Break.
- “Aside from making me a very sad panda, this also puts a crimp on my role as healing lead.” – Amber, Raid from Hell, I Like Bubbles. [Bronte: I never understood why the healer is almost never given raid assist.]
- “Before selling his soul to the mouse, famed designer Warren Spector was working on a “spiritual successor” to Deus Ex.” – Kristin Spencer, Spector still has Deus Ex stories to tell, That Videogame Blog.
- “I just hope that Cryptic will continue and put enough effort into new content to let it have a high quality without too much interference from reality and commercial conditions.” – Sente, Blood Moon flawed event design?, A Ding World. [Bronte: Unlikely, but the foundations of our very existence rest on hope.]
- “Perhaps they’re concerned that players who called their bluff on the original deadline will be even less inclined to change their minds and resubscribe for a worse deal than they could have gotten last week – such is the peril of the high-pressure pre-order.” – Green Armadillo, The Great LOTRO Coverup?, Player vs. Developer.
- “The controls for the vehicles are almost too responsive, I find myself over correcting a lot. I am also struggling with steering; the left thumbstick moves you forward and reverse, the right thumbstick controls left and right steering.” – Jayedub, Borderlands, Dub’s Diatribe. [Bronte: My sentiments EXACTLY!]